Links to Biographies of Scientists
This page provides links to various
web sites that offer biographical information about real
scientists. You might decide, for example, to use
one or more of these resources to prepare authentic accounts
for your students of what scientists actually do. Such
an activity might be appropriate following the "Draw a Scientist"
task for confronting some of the common misconceptions or
stereotypes about scientists held by students and as a way
of expanding (both your own and) your students' understanding
of who can be a scientist and what real scientists do.
Please let me know if you come across
additional resources that should be added to this list.
- Archives of Women in Science and Engineering compiled by the e-Library at Iowa State University
- Doing a "Keyword Search" for "biograph" at the ECHO Science & Technology Virtual Center will list numerous links to biographical information
- Faces of
Science: African Americans in the Sciences
- Famous Physicists and Astronomers, compiled by Dalibor Paar of the University of Zagreb
- 4000 Years of Women in Science
Historical Women in Science
- This web site, a project of the
National Academy of Sciences, was inspired by
in Science, a biography series for middle-school-aged students that
chronicles the lives of contemporary, working female scientists,
co-published by the Joseph
Henry Press and Scholastic Library Publishing.
Female Scientists" - a FactMonster Feature
Profiles of Famous Women
Scientists, listed in chronological order (starting with the
mathematician Theano, 600 BC), some of the profiles include links to sites
with additional information
SACNAS Biography Project, designed as a resource for K-12 educators who are interested in teaching their students about the accomplishments of Chicano/Latino and Native American Scientists
- Peter Landry's alphabetical list of short Scientists' Biographies, with links to more extended reports for some. Mostly all white males.
- Strange Science: The Rocky Road to Modern Paleontology and Biology includes several biographies, along with a listing of women in paleontology
SCIENTISTS: A Gallery of Energy Pioneers
- Women in Science: A Selection of 16 Significant Contributors, presented by the San Diego Supercomputer Center
was last updated: 2006.09.20 by RTSmith